Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Computers, mornings and home sickness

So, my computer is officially dead. That has thrown a bit of a wrench into my productivity this week. There is a loaner here that I'm using but due to various security protocols that my Firm has in place I can't access a number of things back in the US. So I guess that's just another way to ensure that I'm not "overdoing it" over here.

I have been successful at being able to get up in the mornings and exercise this week. That's a much better start to my day than the past couple of weeks where I'd wake up late still feeling groggy from the over the counter sleep aid I took the night before just to be able to fall asleep at all.... Though I have to admit. I'm VERY nervous about this coming Friday. I have a 7:30am flight out of Delhi to Mumbai. I have been afraid to ask what time I'll have to leave the hotel in order to make that flight!  It's gonna be rough!

While I was writing this the power went out briefly. This reminded me that I don't think I'd mentioned on here that the power goes out anywhere from 3-8 times a day in this city. Most places have their own back-up generators to deal with it, so it's never usually out for more than about 20 seconds as it switches to the generator, but it's a strange sensation nonetheless.

As I write this it's 10am on Wed 12/5 here. I leave at the end of the day one week from today (technically my flight departs at 1:30am next Thursday am/ Wednesday pm).  I'm sure that you can tell from my blog that I'm having a great time and the folks here are taking excellent care of me. But I learned long ago that whenever I'm on a trip that's longer than a week I start to get homesick and feel ready to go home that last week. If the trip is two weeks then with one week left I'll start to want to go home. If the trip was five weeks somehow I'd be fine until the end of week four. So, based on my history, and I can sense it starting now, I'll begin really looking forward to going home over the next few days.

Oh yes. One last interesting tidbit that you might find interesting. I've realized that it's completely normal in the work place over here for folks to speak English to each other rather than Hindi, the National language. At first I thought this was just for my benefit but I've realized that's not the case. It's not uncommon at all to hear Indians speaking English to each other with no foreigners around.

Ok, that's all for now. Have a good day/night!

No comments:

Post a Comment