Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Follow up to 2008 Mumbai Bombings

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/20/world/asia/india-mumbai-execution/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
I hope the link above works (I'm not sure I copied the entire thing properly), but I just saw on CNN that today India executed the last terrorist associated with the bombings in Mumbai in 2008. The reason this struck me as interesting was because just yesterday I asked Rohit (the General Manager and my colleague here) why all of the security at the hotel (our car is thoroughly searched - trunk opened, dogs sniffing, mirrors under the car before it is allowed on the hotel property each time, and then I must go through a metal detector and my bag through a scanner before I'm allowed in the hotel). He reminded me of the Mumbai bombings and that higher end tourist hotels were one of the targets and said that ever since then it's been like this.

On just as solemn a note, I happened to glance down at the paper while I was typing this and saw an article on the front page that 23 Delhiites die every day due to respiratory ailments from the poor air quality/pollution. That number is double what it was four years ago! 

Wow, I didn't intend this to be a downer of a blog. I was really just trying to share information that I'm seeing and learning that's interesting to me!  I am continuing to have a fantastic time and really adore the folks over here. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment